Monday, April 18, 2016

Smoking

Is smoking a health hazard ?

.........................................
50 years back when smoking was not declared as health hazard I did not have a drag till my final year in IIT in 1965. Before passing out i smoked a Charminar which i did not purchase but scrounged from someone else.
Then i had my high and low of smoking when smoking was not hazardous, i touched 5 cigarettes a day in my hey days at BHEL sites.
We said good bye to Panipat Thermal in 1980 by smoking bidi in the control room, it was initiated by Late Gurdeep Singh, that was my first and last bidi.
In Bengali society smoking in front of elders or someone in power is supposed to be showing disrespect..But then the society went for an overhaul and younger people started taking to smoking in a death and authority defying act. Throwing cigarette smoke on someones face was considered to be act of bravery. I remember during my posting as Head of ER in BHEL during the meeting with trade union all the leaders from CITU will pull out cigarette to smoke before start of the meeting. Showing some kind of arrogance or don't care about management. That was their way till my coming. I had to put a ban in smoking cigarette in the office and the order was pasted throughout the office. Thus the nuisance of CITU leaders was checked, in this process i stopped smoking in the office.
But as "No smoking" zones are increasing and also due to health consciousness i find many of the regular smokers in my present office have stopped smoking. I find there is upward trend of girls picking up smoking in Bengal.
The other day some local people acting as moral police harassed a young woman of Presidency college for smoking cigarette openly in their pada.Her family is trying to justify the smoking by a girl. It appears the society is divided on this issue.
Now i smoke a cigarette or 2 in a week and that too in the privacy of my house. It has been eons since i smoked a fag on the streets of any city and don't plan to do so.

No comments: