Sunday, February 19, 2017

It is all about humanity

It is all about humanity
…………………………………

The other day Dr.Kamal Charaborty, a renowned social worker of Bengal was in my office. He had a lucrative corporate job with TISCO,Jamshedpur but left that to serve the poor tribal of Purulia. He located a barren land and started the school Bhalopahar and planted more than 30 lacs trees. The school offers free education and midday meal to the poor children free of cost. He has undertaken organic farming after creating ponds by rainwater harvesting. The day he came a knowledge sharing session in our office was in progress. One young engineer Rangam Das was sharing his experience of EHV testing of transformer witnessed by him in ABB works.
At the conclusion I took Dr.Chakraborty to the conference hall and requested him to address the young engineers of our organization ,Techno Electric Engg Co. He shared his experience of establishing that school in that remote location and graphically described the poverty of that region. He narrated that they are so poor that the ladies have only one saree, after washing the saree she would hide behind the trees waiting for the saree to dry up. While describing this facet he broke down, practically every one of us had moist eyes, got touched by the plight of those poor Indians whereas here we were relaxing in AC hall. He said that he runs the setup by donations from corporates and individuals. He made a request for donation of any kind.
After the lecture in my chamber he asked my opinion, I was skeptical and expressed so.
To my utter surprise I was proved absolutely wrong in judging the young lot. One young engineer came to my chamber and thanked me for the interaction with Dr.Chakraborty and expressed that he wanted to do something. While talking about the poor ladies of Purulia he broke down and I too could not check myself. Later on my PA Shubhra informed that many of them were approaching her for donation. I met a bright engineer who has passed out of Shibpur , he came to me and said he will organize a donation box where old clothes, books, stationeries can be donated. That boy who first came gave a cheque of 2000 as donation.
I am flabbergasted by the spontaneity of the reaction and it is beyond my imagination. All of them said, “ We always wanted to do something for the society but did not know which is genuine organization. We are sure about Dr.Chakraborty who has given his life for those poor by remaining unmarried.” I shared with them that as he is a renowned novelist and poet so all his earnings go to the school. I too in my small way make monthly contribution in addition to organizing corporate contributions from Techno and WPIL where I am Independent Director.
The above incident has opened my eyes about the younger generation as they externally don’t show but has that spirit dormant in them which requires a small nudge to make them act in the right direction. The firs engineer who came to my chamber travels from outside Kolkata for office and gets dialysis of his father done twice a month; with this burden he donated 2000 bucks. I am happy that though there is lot of negativism projected by the social network, print media, electronic media but there is a silent majority who are pure , think about others and they are young. This makes me optimistic about the future of India.

I thought of sharing this incident with you all.

No comments: