Thursday, April 19, 2018

Banku Babu


Bankubabu

By this time readers might have understood that I have varied interest and don’t hesitate to start conversation with anyone of any social strata. The morning walk around the lake gives me enough opportunity to strike a conversation. It is like this after completing a round I would often sit down near that historic cannon and then whoever comes and sits I would start conversation. At this place only I met my sidekick Babulal. The latest to add to my chain of acquaintances is Bankubabu.
It happened last week. I was having this toothache but I still kept up my routine of morning walk. I was sitting on that appointed concrete bench, rubbing the right side of my jaw, uneasiness was still there. I felt someone come and sit by my side, from the corner of my eyes I could see a middle aged man in loose pair of trousers, shirt out, disheveled hair, big round rimmed glasses , curiously looking at me. I turned my head and grimaced as the toothache was not subsiding.
“Toothache?” He asked with a smile.
“Yes! Since last two days I am having this intermittent ache on my right molar. I bit a gram the other day then suddenly I got this shooting pain!”
"I know how it feels, going to dentist is the only option now but some better option may come up in future." with a mysterious smile he said.
I raised my eyebrows and asked ,'What is that option?"
He was carrying a jute bag, he dipped his hand inside the bag and with lot of care pulled out a sealed container. He carefully opened the lid and asked me to look inside. I leaned towards him and peeped in, I could see some white enameled things looking like teeth.
“Are those extracted teeth?” I asked cautiously thinking that somehow that day I had stuck conversation with some eccentric character.
‘Yes, I am a biologist and my subject of research is stem cell. I have collected these teeth for my research. My assistants are collecting baby teeth.’
“I did not follow. I have heard of stem cell research and all that but where these teeth fit in?”’ I was bewildered.
“This time I can’t help you with your toothache but soon I will be able to help you with my new invention!”He repeated.
I was still not clear what was he trying to communicate.
“How can you help; you are not a dentist. From your talk I can make out that you are a scientist.”
“I told you my area of specialization is stem cell; now I am researching on growing tooth. From these teeth and baby teeth I will extract stems cells which I will first try on mice.’’
“You mean like that group of scientist in Tokyo University who have grown a human ear on the back of a rat in 2016 by using human stem cell.”
With a twinkle in his eyes Bankubabu said, “Yes, now you know the drift.”
“But that’s a pretty advanced technology and you require a modern laboratory to carry out such research.” I said doubtfully.
He laughed out loud and said, “That’s not a problem, I know how to get hold of a research lab in the city, I work in the night, a handsome tip to the night guards does the trick.”
I started believing him as I read a doctor called Barua in Assam tried transplanting a pig’s heart in a human body. There are many such eccentric scientists in India who in make shift laboratories do wonder. With cheap Chinese DNA splitter equipment or with some such lab instrument he may be able to grow tooth on a rat’s back to begin with.
“I wish you would have been successful in growing tooth then I could have lent my jaw to you as first patient. Now I don’t know what the dentist will do. It will be either extraction or root canal of that molar tooth.”
“Yes I know the ordeal, look at my teeth.” He opened his mouth wide. I could see he is having denture.
“”Yes at a very early age I had tooth , gum problem and then on I was obsessed in resolving this issue once for all. So once I develop the proper DNA then I will experiment on myself first and if successful then I will attempt on those bridged teeth of yours.”
That was smart, he had noticed my bridged teeth where I had extractions done.
“I have to go and organize some chemicals for my research in the night, I generally use herbs which one of my friends grow in his kitchen garden.”
He got up and offered his visiting card to me.
Banku Sen
Innovator
A logo (of a laughing skull with all teeth in place, a 2D digital x ray image)

I gave my visiting card to him, wished him luck in his endeavor, we parted.
After the above incident i went to a dentist and started my root canal ordeal.


2 comments: