Sunday, February 28, 2016

Zila Begusarai

Zila Begusarai
…………………….

He was royally sitting inside , a policeman conversing with him with lot of respect. That was sometimes around 1972 or so when Begusarai became a district by carving out of Munger. If there is any district record of sports then it will be found that I was the captain of the first district football team. We just finished one of our football outing when I was informed that one of our player Gopal Prasad Singh who was also operator in Barauni Refinery had been jailed. I knew that he was on the run when his truck carrying ganja was caught near Nashik.
I am talking about Gopal whom we had gone to meet in the Begusarai jail. That was the time when notorious smuggler Kamdeo Singh was uncrowned king of ganja smugglers , ganja was grown in Nepal so it was cross border smuggling. Gopal was a good footballer and was representing both refinery and district. Officially he was an operator in Barauni Refinery of IOC.
I was surprised to find that he was getting lot of respects from the constables though he was behind the bar.He was not in his jail dress,with his fair skin and sturdy built he was looking like a Zamindar even though he was behind the bar. Seeing us he shouted an obscenity at the constable and said in a rough tone, “ Go bring tea and samosa for my guests!”
Then he smiled at us unruffled by his status of a prisoner , said to me “ Arey Roydada, how are you?”
“ I am fine but what is all this about ganja and all I hear?”
“Who kuch nahi, sab theek ho jayega. What was the score?”
“We won.” Someone informed.
In the meanwhile the constable of the jail brought tea and samosa for us.
We spent sometimes with him and then I rode back to my quarter on my scooter. Those days Begusarai area was a stronghold of CPI , most of the landed property was with Bhumihars. Gopal was a Bhumihar so had that upper hand in the society.
The game of football was the bond between me and Gopal. I was captain of refinery team and would go out to play matches to various places , those outings brought me close to many of the players , somehow Gopal's wayward character attracted me more to him. My flat was near the refinery bus stop from where official buses would start for shift duties. Often Gopal would be late and miss the schedule bus then he would take my scooter to duty. I never had the inkling about his smuggling activities. Once during a football match in Barauni town Gopal had a rough tackle with a Barauni player with whom he had past enmity.  Immediately Gopal was surrounded by the supporters of  the Barauni team who were furious but before they could do any harm to him two characters appeared from nowhere with revolvers and asked the Barauni supporters to back off. I was unnerved by the sight of gun, I looked angrily at Gopal.
He shrugged,” These are my bodyguards; I was ready for something like this.”
After that skirmish the match was abandoned.
After his arrest and conviction, Gopal was terminated from the job.
My last meeting with Gopal was in Quality Dresses , Begusarai which was owned by our friend Harishankar Maskara. I had gone to that shop  just for to chat, I was still a bachelor then. Suddenly Harshankar gave a shout and said,” Look who is here?’
I turned and found Gopal entering the shop. He was neatly dressed, had a look of a businessman. Seeing me he gave a big smile. Harshankar whispered to me,” Now he is a full time smuggler.”
“Hello Roydada.” We shook hand.
“You know Gopal got married again.” Harishankar said.
“Arey yaar, why suddenly?” I said.
“ Now I have to move in higher society so married an educated smart girl.” He smiled mischievously.
“what about your wife in village?” I said.
That rascal said, “ Dada you marry her.” And guffawed .
“Bloody hell, you have not changed even though wearing all gentleman like dress.” I admonished him.
Well that was my  last meeting with Gopal.
Begusarai is very much in news now a days because of Kanhaiya Kumar who is from Bihata village of Begusarai district....Begusarai had been a notorious place then in seventies because of all kinds of illegal activities. it was a strong hold of CPI and from the reports i find Bihata is called mini Moscow...
It is not surprising that  a gangster like Gopal  can not do mundane duty of an operator or like Kanhiya study and fight against the system...third alternative is be law abiding and surrender to the system...

1 comment:

G G Subhedar said...

A fine recollection. Timely