Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Budhang Saranam gachchami

Budhang  saranam gachchami
………………………………………….




We were following this group of monks to the Mulagandhakuti  Vihar in Sarnath. It is excavated site of a temple complex.. From the description written could know that this historical edifice was built during Gupta period. There are remains of original Ashoka pillar built in 272-233 BC. A visit to such ancient site always makes me wonder about the life style of that period when modern mode of transport was yet to be invented. My imagination start running riot associating people and the place. The Ashoka pillar is made of Chunar sand stone, the broken pieces have been preserved in a glass enclosure..  The monks were led by a stout gentle looking ever smiling person in a gerua habit of a monk. He along with one of his followers climbed an elevated place and started chanting some hymn. I asked one of the monks about their country of origin.
“Thailand.” He said.
“Who is that monk?” I asked.
“Arthit.He is a great saint with spiritual power.”

I was curious; I asked my wife and brother in law to wait and climbed the ruin to reach Arthit.
He turned towards me and smiled.
I did an elaborate namaskar with a bow, he acknowledged that. I praised his country for maintaining a large Budhist complex in Sarnath.
‘Yes, counties like China, Ceylon,Japan too have temples of Budha here.” He informed.
“But your one is the largest.”
He smiled and spread his hand and said,” This is the original one and the largest one. What a pity this has not been maintained and allowed to get withered.”
“The Turkish plundered this complex in 12 th century. Yes it should have been restored subsequently.” I said.
“Imagine in 230 BC when Budha gave his first sermon here and then Emperors of Gupta dynasty built this complex, the land was donated by the king of Benras.Emperor Ashoka organised this complex further. Then of course this place was known as Isipatana. The Chinese traveller Xuanzang who visited this place in 7th century had noted that there were 30 monasteries and 3000 monks were staying here.” He enlightened me further about the Mulgandha Kuti.
While talking he touched my shoulder and turned me towards the ruins, I felt as though a mild electricity has passed through my body. I looked around where my wife was standing but instead I found a tall rectangular structure standing with thick walls . It was made of brown Chunar sandstone and there was Ashoka Pillar in the front. I could see shadowy people moving around. I was looking at the original temple built during Gupta period . The Dhamekha Stupa had vanished. Along with temple complex there were other connected rectangular smaller structures. I could guess those were the quarters for monks to stay and the stupa was not constructed by then. I was watching a full complex bustling with activities. But I got worried not seeing my wife and brother in law and that broke my trance. Now I was looking at the ruins and my wife was calling me to come down.
I turned back to thank Arthit for transporting me to that era in 200 year BC and giving me a glimpse of the temple when it was freshly built but he was not there on that mound. I felt cheated that I could not have more time with him to learn something more about Budha and his teachings. I climbed down asked my wife, “Did you see that monk? Where did he go?”
“Which monk?”
“The monk with whom I was talking.”
“You were alone there, yes you spoke to a group here but they left long back.”
I was sure that I was talking to a human being in flesh and blood. His gentle voice was still ringing in my ear. He had definitely touched me and after that I had that divine experience but then ,” What happened?’
I have heard about the mystic powers of monks and I think I met one there in Sarnath.


 Note: The above article is combination of facts and imagination.

1 comment:

G G Subhedar said...

Blessed are you to get this experience......