Thursday, January 21, 2016

My tryst with smartphone

My tryst with smartphone

…………………………………………..
After started playing golf I realized that the shabbily dressed caddy in Hawai chappal is a better player than me….why me only? Better than most of us… we go for the best golf set, proper golf shoes and all whereas my caddy in barefoot with one size of club can almost hit anyshot much better than me…we call ourselves golfers and they are caddies as they carry our golf bags and searches out our lost balls from the shrubs …whenever I hit a good shot I look at my caddy for appreciation and not at co-players…. .
During the last few days I discovered that like caddy knowing golf better than me all other people lower in social ladder know more about smartphone than me…..
My Smasung Note 2 had become moody so wanted to have an alternate cheaper handset….shared my thought with my driver Gopal.
“What is your budget? “He asked.
“Something below 10,000.”
“Your this Note 2 is with 1.5 GB RAM you can get a handset of 3 GB for that cost.”
Then he rattled some brands which have higher RAM. I was totally flummoxed, when he started explaining that with higher RAM my phone will work faster, he advised I must purchase a phone which is 4g enabled too.
Keeping his above advise in my mind I trawled the net but chose something similar to my existing one (for ease of operation ) but a cheaper one with less memory, less camera pixels, 1 GB RAM but 4 g enabled. While purchasing the phone I asked the sale girl whether the phone which I was purchasing has NFC. She knowledgably told me ,”Sir, there are many apps available for sharing, so don’t bother about NFC.”
After doing the purchase my next stop of lesson was from the guy in front of Park Street Post office who sells the covers for phones. I told him I have Samsung Galaxy J 5 ……he looked at the phone and said it is J2 and started looking for the cover suiting to the set. He knowledgably informed me ,” sir, it is a good phone, it used to cost 8,500 but you got a good bargain at 8,1000.  Samsung is the best brand now.”
I came back to my office and tried to put the SD card in my new phone, I could not locate the slot. Gopal was in my chamber then stacking my files for shifting to new office. He was watching me fiddling, he said,” wait I will call Tanmoy,the security guard.”
“Tanmoy, what does he know?”
“He is expert on mobile phones.” Saying that he called Tanmoy.
Enters Tanmoy, opens the cover of new phone and confidently pushes the SD card in.
“Please switch on the phone and unlock the screen, so that I can check whether SD card is showing in the system or not.” He said.
I did as advised and he checked the storage area for extra storage created by SD card. Then he went on to show some more functions of the phone.
I have often heard people saying that their son or grandson guided them in resolving their phone related problems. In my case it is people like Gopal or Tanmoy or that 40 plus footpath vendor guided me in the nitty-gritty of smartphone…they have better data base by virtue of helping each other in resolving not only problem related with phones but any other issue unlike us privileged with egos don’t reach out to others…


No comments: